SAT, APRIL 19, 2014
City Hall
City Hall
image description image description

Historic Landmarks Board: Historic Neighborhoods

Intro

ATSmith_House_1938_small.jpg

Forest Grove's history is rooted in education and religion. The founders of the town came to the region as missionaries. Missionary Alvin Thompson Smith was the first to settle in the area, building a cabin in 1841.

The region was developing as a farming region, but neighbors were few and far between in the 1840s. In 1854, Smith built a two-story Greek Revival house for himself and his wife, Abigale. The house still stands today on the south edge of town, with the help of a group of dedicated friends working hard to preserve the important structure.

Old College HallThe Reverend Harvey Clark arrived a year later in 1842 and settled a land claim north of the Smiths. He started a Congregational Church, one that also served as a school house. In 1847, Tabitha Brown arrived and started an orphanage in conjunction with the school. By 1849, the Tualatin Academy was established. One must understand that in 1854, the 36 square miles surrounding the Forest Grove area contained only 25 to 30 landowners. Families lived on their individual farms, as the large acreage of these their land claims made them quite isolated from their neighbors. Agriculture was the primary occupation of early Forest Grove residents. The creation of Tualatin Academy and the town soon to be known as Forest Grove that sprung up around it, forever altered this dispersed development pattern. The Academy evolved into the Pacific University of today. For a more thorough history of Forest Grove, click here.

Historic Downtown

Historic Downtown

Street CarThe Historic Downtown is an undesignated area that is centered at the intersection of Pacific Avenue and Main Street. From the intersection, the historic core runs northward a block along Main Street and for several blocks along Pacific Avenue.

The late 1880s brought a boom to Forest Grove with the arrival of land speculators and developers. The "Gay Nineties" saw the development of electricity and water facilities in Forest Grove. Much of brick downtown was developed during this period. The names of the buildings repeat in the names of the grander houses in Forest Grove. The downtown core fortunately avoided the fire of 1919 and survives today very much intact.

To download the history (i.e., context statement) for the downtown (approximately 120k), click here.

To see detail on a historic resource in the Historic Downtown, either point your mouse to a historic resource on the map below and click, or if you know the address, click on the address link at the bottom of the page.

Downtown Map

2042 Main St
2038 Main St
2036 Main St
2030 Main St
2020 Main St
2012 Main St
2008 Main St
2004 Main St
2019 Main St
2013 Main St
2007 Main St
2001 Main St
1911 Pacific Ave
2000 Pacific Ave
1940 Pacific Ave
1930 Pacific Ave
1924 Pacific Ave
1904 Pacific Ave
2026 Pacific Ave
2042 Main St 2038 Main St 2036 Main St 2030 Main St 2020 Main St 2012 Main St 2008 Main St 2004 Main St 2019 Main St 2013 Main St 2007 Main St 2001 Main St 1911 Pacific Ave 2026 Pacific Ave 2000 Pacific Ave 1940 Pacific Ave 1930 Pacific Ave 1924 Pacific Ave 1904 Pacific Ave 2026 Pacific Ave

 

Clark District

The Clark District

Hoffman HouseThe Clark National Historic District was created south of downtown in 2002. It is a roughly rectangular area with irregular borders of 19th and 16th Avenues on the north and south, and A and Elm Streets on the west and east.

Central School is on the west edge, Rogers Park on the east edge. The area is residential with a scattering of churches. The Historic District contains 178 historic sites. The area is named after the Reverend Harvey Clark and his wife, Emeline. With the help of A.T. Smith, the Clarks built a log cabin on their land claim north of the Smiths. Reverend Clark was instrumental in the creation of the Tualatin Academy. Much of the land where the Clark Historic District stands was donated to the Academy by Clark as an endowment. The land was originally platted into one-acre lots. The land was purchased and houses were built for local residents in a wide variety of occupations. This variety translated into a spectrum of architectural styles from Second Empire to Bungalow.

To download the entire history for the Clark Historic District (approximately 3mb), click here.

The Clark Historic District Brochure The Clark Historic District Brochure (5.35 MB)

To see detail on a historic resource in the Clark Historic District, either point your mouse to a historic resource on the map below and click, or if you know the address, click on the address link at the bottom of the page.

Clark Map

1636 A St
1710 A St
1709 A St
1728 A St
1738 A St
1606 Ash
1642 Ash
1613 Ash
1614 Ash
1631 Ash
1643 Ash
1622 Ash
1623 Ash
1628 Ash
1603 Ash
1636 Ash
1648 Ash
1701 Ash
1713 Ash
1714 Ash
1717 Ash
1724 Ash
1728 Ash
1734 Ash
1803 Ash
1807 Ash
1817 Ash
1823 Ash
1604 Birch
1603 Birch

1617 Birch
1638 Birch
1653 Birch
1710 Birch
1810 Birch
1616 Birch
1632 Birch
1637 Birch
1803 Birch
1819 Birch
1628 Cedar
1643 Cedar
1642 Cedar
1633 Cedar
1629 Cedar
1729 Cedar
1723 Cedar
1719 Cedar
1804 Cedar
1817 Cedar
1714 Douglas
1646 Douglas
1804 Douglas
1815 Douglas
1818 Douglas
1823 Douglas
1827 Douglas
1837 Douglas
1806 Elm
1818 Elm

1611 Main
1621 Main
1632 Main
1638 Main
1703 Main
1728 Main
1803 Main
1545 Main
1620 Main
1804 Main
1909 17th
2137 17th
2138 17th
2238 17th
2320 17th
2304 17th
2325 17th
2338 17th
2004 17th
2008 17th
2018 17th
2027 17th
2030 17th
2037 17th
2038 17th
2114 17th
2120 17th
2126 17th
2134 17th
2137 17th

2027 17th
2138 17th
2224 17th
2228 17th
2238 17th
2320 17th
2304 17th
2325 17th
2338 17th
1909 17th
2011 18th
2015 18th
1917 18th
2125 18th
2323 18th
2314 18th
2417 18th
2006 18th
2014 18th
2020 18th
2024 18th
2033 18th
2038 18th
2039 18th
2118 18th
2307 18th
2328 18th
2314 19th
2338 19th
Rogers Park

1909 17th 1611 Main 2008 17th 1621 Main 2037 17th 1648 Ash 2027 17th 1642 Ash 1613 Ash 1623 Ash 1631 Ash 1643 Ash 2137 17th 2138 17th 1617 Birch 1603 Birch 2238 17th 2320 17th 2304 17th 2325 17th 2338 17th 1804 Main 2006 18th 1807 Ash 2014 18th 1803 Ash 2020 18th 2024 18th 2039 18th 2033 18th 2038 18th 2118 18th 1803 Birch 2307 18th 2328 18th 2323 18th 2314 18th 2417 18th 2314 19th 2338 19th 1604 Birch 2030 17th 1616 Birch 2038 17th 1606 Ash 1632 Birch 1614 Ash 1638 Birch 1622 Ash 1628 Ash 1603 Ash 1636 Ash 1701 Ash 1713 Ash 1714 Ash 1717 Ash 1724 Ash 1728 Ash 1734 Ash 2015 18th 2011 18th 1917 18th 1823 Ash 1636 A St 1710 A St 1709 A St 1728 A St 1738 A St 1637 Birch 2134 17th 2126 17th 1653 Birch 2120 17th 1628 Cedar 2114 17th 1642 Cedar 1710 Birch 2125 18th 1810 Birch 1819 Birch 2224 17th 1643 Cedar 1633 Cedar 2228 17th 1629 Cedar 1729 Cedar 1723 Cedar 1719 Cedar 1804 Cedar 1817 Cedar 1646 Douglas 1714 Douglas 1804 Douglas 1815 Douglas 1818 Douglas 1823 Douglas 1827 Douglas 1837 Douglas Rogers Park 1806 Elm 1818 Elm 2018 17th 1545 Main 1620 Main 2004 17th 1632 Main 1638 Main 1703 Main 1728 Main 1817 Ash 1803 Main

 

Naylor District

Naylor-Walker Neighborhood

Russell House

The Naylor-Walker Neighborhood area is north of the downtown and west of Pacific University. The area is residential containing some of the oldest houses in Forest Grove.

Many of Forest Grove's local historic landmarks are located in this neighborhood. Thomas G. Naylor and the Reverend Elkanah Walker settled donation land claims west and north of Harvey Clark, respectively. Both gave land to found the Tualatin Academy. Many of the names connected to the houses are repeated on the downtown commercial buildings. The area contained a small commercial district on its southeast edge that was devastated by a fire in 1919.

To download the history (i.e., context statement) for the Naylor-Walker Neighborhood (approximately 6mb), click here.

The Clark Historic District Brochure The Clark Historic District Brochure (5.35 MB)

To see detail on a historic resource in the Naylor-Walker Neighborhood, either point your mouse to a historic resource on the map below and click, or if you know the address, click on the address link at the bottom of the page.

Naylor Map

2117 A St
2125 A St
2212 A St
2214 A St
2240 A St
2314 A St
2324 A St
2325 A St
2335 A St
2032 B St
2038 B St
2114 B St
2119 B St
2130 B St
2218 B St
2234 B St
2335 B St
1928 C St
2214 College Way
2224 College Way
2142 College Way
2204 College Way
1929 D St
2223 Main
1630 Pacific
1736 Pacific
1614 21st
1724 21st
1815 21st
1811 21st
1805 21st
1919 21st
2003 21st
2019 21st
2017 21st
2011 21st
1706 22nd
1717 22nd
1806 22nd
1933 22nd
1718 23rd
1724 23rd
1614 21st 1724 21st 1815 21st 1811 21st 1805 21st 1919 21st 2019 21st 2017 21st 2011 21st 2003 21st 1706 22nd 1717 22nd 1806 22nd 2214 College Way 1718 23rd 1724 23rd 2214 A St 2117 A St 2125 A St 2212 A St 2240 A St 2314 A St 2324 A St 2325 A St 2335 A St 2032 B St 2038 B St 2114 B St 2119 B St 2130 B St 2218 B St 2234 B St 2335 B St 1928 C St 2224 College Way 2142 College Way 1933 22nd 2204 College Way 1929 D St 2223 Main 1630 Pacific 1736 Pacific

 

Southside District

Southside Neighborhood

Bailey House

The Southside Neighborhood, as its name implies, is south of downtown. It is also abuts the southern edge of the Clark Historic District. The residential neighborhood is bounded roughly on the north by 16th Avenue, south by 10th Avenue, east by Hawthorne Street, and west by Main Street.

The area includes the South Park Addition (1891), Bailey’s Addition and Smith Addition (1906), Knob Hill Addition (1909), and Bowman Addition (1946). The oldest homes naturally fall in the South Park Addition. About 75% of the houses in South Park Addition are 50 years old or older, and about 25% of those houses were constructed before 1915. The intersection of 15th and Elm has the most significant concentration of historic homes in the addition with the Watts House (1905), the site of the original Tualatin Academy; the Bailey House (1892) next door; and the Marble House (1890) across the street. However, the Southside Neighborhood historically contains only a few of the high style houses of the wealthy of Forest Grove, concentrating instead on a large percentage of the middle class houses of Forest Grove.

To download the entire history (i.e., context statement) for the Southside Neighborhood (approximately 3mb), click here.

To see detail on a historic house in the Southside Neighborhood, either point your mouse to a historic house on the map below and click, or if you know the address, click on the address link at the bottom of the page.

Southside Map

2206 12th Ave
2128 15th Ave
2204 15th Ave
2339 15th Ave
2406 15th Ave
2422 15th Ave
2434 15th Ave
2237 16th Ave
1502 Ash St
1414 Birch St
1320 Cedar St
1506 Cedar St
1504 Elm St
2128 15th 1320 Cedar 2339 15th 1504 Elm 2406 15th 1502 Ash 2422 15th 2237 16th 2434 15th 1414 Birch 2206 12th 1506 Cedar 2204 15th

Link to Southside District Additional Information