MON, JULY 28, 2014
City Hall
City Hall
image description image description

Police Department: Citizen Complaint Procedure

The Forest Grove Police Department prides itself on being responsive to the needs and concerns of the citizens and the community.

(Para el español)

Your complaints and criticisms are accepted as meaningful indications of the job we are doing and provide us with the information to serve you better.  While we strive to achieve service of the highest quality, we realize that with our high degree of public contact and type of involvement, not every citizen will be totally satisfied or will clearly understand the reasons for actions taken by the Department.

The purpose of this information is to assist all citizens in obtaining a better understanding of and greater satisfaction from your Police Department.

WHAT IS A COMPLAINT? A complaint is any accusation or allegation that, if true, will adversely affect the Departments efficiency and its relationship with you, the public.

WHO MAY MAKE A COMPLAINT? Any person who has witnessed an incident or has direct well-founded knowledge about an incident may make a complaint.

HOW DO YOU MAKE A COMPLAINT? You may call 503-992-3260 and have a complaint form mailed to you or you may pick up a complaint form Monday - Friday between 9:00 am - 4:00 pm at the Forest Grove Police Department.  You can also download a copy of the complaint form.

Complaint Procedure Usually, an explanation of the situation is all that is needed to initiate a review or investigation of the matter.

In reviewing or investigating the complaints, appropriate witnesses, police personnel and other persons involved will be contacted. Additionally, relevant evidence and other information pertinent to the complaint will be examined and reviewed.

When making a complaint, please attempt to include as much of the following information as possible: date, time, location of occurrence, employee(s) name, and vehicle number. You will be required to sign a written complaint form regarding the incident.

In unusual cases, when the truth cannot be ascertained in any other way, you may be asked to take a polygraph (lie detector) examination at no cost to you.

If it is determined as a result of the investigation that the actions of police personnel were improper or illegal, administrative action will be taken pursuant to established procedures of the Department and City. If, however, it is determined that the complaint which you filed was false or malicious, you may be subject to legal actions.

REMEMBER You need not be a part of an incident to make a complaint. You do not have to know any of the parties involved. If you believe you have a valid complaint, constructive criticism, or that police personnel have conducted themselves improperly, you can report it.