This statement is written and designed to reflect the best of what exists now, and what we aspire to become, as a community. It was written in 2006 by a group of citizen volunteers.
Forest Grove is a friendly, twenty-first century, small, full service city. It was settled in 1841 by pioneers who valued respect for education, faith, enterprise, service to humanity, and the bountiful resources of the Tualatin Plain. Those values persist to inspire a common vision for a high quality of life in a thriving and progressive community that reaches from its historical commercial core around Pacific University to a horizon of forests, farms, vineyards, and the Coast Range. As an engaged and diverse people, we assure sustainability in our economy and our environment, thus supporting a community that nurtures our youth, educates all residents, and attracts and welcomes visitors. Forest Grove is itself a destination that thrives by design and is our home.
Forest Grove is a Destination that offers visitors and residents:
- A rich heritage preserved by honoring the city’s natural, cultural, and historic treasures while also embracing the future.
- A centrally located gateway to forests, waterways, beaches, and mountains; this wealth of resources is cherished and preserved to foster sport, recreation, reflection, and leisure.
- Arts & culture that abound throughout the year; we celebrate our cultures and participate in a wide variety of visual and performing arts and festivals.
- A community recognized for its commitment to conserve, preserve, protect and restore our natural assets.
Forest Grove is a community by Design through:
- Participation of an engaged public and accessible, responsive government.
- Planning that considers and accommodates both the desires and needs of all community members to ensure their quality of life and prosperity.
- Sustainable transportation modes, systems, and networks that provide opportunities for all to conveniently and safely move about within and outside of the community.
- Economic development that encourages innovative, diverse and ecologically sound enterprises that provide ample opportunities for employment, and ensures the vitality of the community.
- Fiscally sound funding of quality public safety and municipal services including locally owned public utility and watershed.
Forest Grove is Home to:
- Individuals who are respected and valued for their experience, abilities, and differences, and where all residents are included in the life of the community through excellent education, recreation, and social programs.
- Young people who are nurtured and encouraged to achieve their full potential.
- Families of every size and description who have community resources needed for lifelong learning and development.
- Older residents whose ongoing leadership, wisdom and investment in the community build the foundation for our future.
- Distinctive neighborhoods replete with a variety of accessible housing options, schools, parks, places of worship and social gathering, and farmlands and open spaces.
- A community in harmony, bound by commonly shared respect for its residents, natural resources, economic vitality, and its active role in a global society.
Action Plan (2007)