As part of an ongoing initiative to promote small and new businesses, the City of Forest Grove announced today that it is partneri... more
City Earns Another National Historic District
The Oregon State Historic Preservation Office (SHPO) is pleased to announce the recent listing of the Walker Naylor Historic District in Forest Grove in the National Registry.
Located north of downtown Forest Grove, the residential Walker Naylor Historic District illustrates the impact of important events, trends, and institutions that affected the development of the town from the construction of the first house in 1858 through 1959. The area was initially settled by the town’s professionals and businessmen who constructed Victorian homes on large semi-rural lots. By the early-twentieth century a regional boom fueled by demand for agricultural and forest products resulted in a burgeoning downtown and increasing enrollments at Pacific University. During this time lots in Walker Naylor were subdivided to meet growing demand for housing and buildings in the Bungalow and Period Revival Cottage styles were constructed. After WWII, lots continued to be divided over the next several decades as homes were constructed in the Ranch and WWII Period Cottage styles among others. By 1959 the neighborhood had been largely built out and few residences were constructed after this period.
Commemorating our historical and architectural heritage is important to Forest Grove, and Naylor-Walker is the third National Register Historic District (the first, the Clark District, was designated in 2002 and the second, Painter's Woods, in 2009). The new district was established through the efforts of Forest Grove’s Historic Landmarks Board working together with historic preservation consultant Kimberli Fitzgerald, who researched and prepared the detailed application.
More information on the historic districts in Forest Grove may be found at Historic Landmarks Board.