All residents and visitors to Forest Grove have the right to a safe and comfortable atmosphere in which to live, work, and enjoy. Noise can be a concern especially if it exceeds the maximum dBA outside the permitted times.
Report Noise Violations
To report a noise violation, please contact Washington County Dispatch at 503-629-0111 while the incident is occurring - as officers must witness the violation in order to take action.
Permitted Noise Hours
As a general rule, times permitted for noise are between 7 am and 10 pm.
The following acts are declared to create excessive and unnecessary sounds in violation of city code without regard to maximum sound levels set forth in Section 91.034.
- Owning, possessing or harboring any bird or other animal that barks, bays, cries, howls, or makes any long, unnecessary and continuous noise, other than for reasons of being provoked by a person trespassing or threatening to trespass.
- Dogs cannot bark for more than 10 consecutive minutes.
- Roosters are prohibited within city limits. A resident may keep up to four adult fowls (chickens, ducks, pheasants and quails three months of age or older) on a lot with a minimum area of 5,000 square feet. One additional adult fowl is allowed for each 2,000 square feet of additional lot area, up to a maximum of 12 fowl in accordance with Section 93.03 Domesticated Fowl.
- Goats, sheep, pigs, cows, llamas, alpacas, emus, and other livestock are prohibited within city limits.
Discharging into the open air the exhaust of any steam engine, internal combustion engine, or any mechanical device operated by compressed air or steam without a muffler, or with a sound control device less effective than that provided on the original engine or mechanical device.
Sounding a horn or signaling device on a vehicle on a street or public or private place, except as a necessary warning of danger.
Sound caused by playing, using or operating any radio, television, boom box, stereo, or any sound-producing device or instrument, including, but not limited to, musical instruments, loudspeakers, stereos installed in or on a vehicle, in such a manner:
- That exceed(s) the maximum permissible sound levels set forth in Section 91.034.
- That is plainly audible from a distance of 100 feet from the source of the sound if within a park, street, or other public area.
Operating a motor vehicle engine above idling speed off the public right-of-way so as to create excessive or unnecessary sounds.
The following sounds are exempted from the city code provisions:
- Construction activities which is allowed Monday through Friday 7 am to 10 pm, and Saturday 8 am to 7 pm
- Domestic power tools and chainsaws which is allowed Monday through Friday 7 am to 10 pm and Saturday through Sunday 8 am to 7 pm
- Discharge of legal explosive devices or legal fireworks on the third of July, Fourth of July, and the Friday and Saturday during the weekend closest to the Fourth of July of each year 7 am to 11 pm as well as 11 pm on December 31 to 12:30 am on January 1
- Garbage pickup is allowed 5 am to 7 pm
- Emergency Work or Equipment
- Amplifiers and Loudspeakers at organized athletic or city-permitted activities or events
- Events produced by organized athletic or city permitted activities or events at places such as stadiums, parks, public plazas, schools, athletic fields, and other public areas
- Private events must comply with maximum permissible sound levels and time limits set forth in Section 91.034
- Sounds made by warning devices operating continuously for three minutes or less
Noise Variance Permit & Application
A noise variance permit (PDF) may be submitted to the City Manager for relief on the basis of undue hardship from a noise level or time limits set forth in Section 91.034. The fee is set by resolution.
2102 Pacific Avenue
Forest Grove, OR 97116
2102 Pacific Avenue Forest Grove OR 97116
Phone: 503-992-3260Emergency Phone: 911
Please do not report crimes or suspicious activity via email. Contact dispatch at 503-629-0111 to report any criminal activity.