The City of Forest Grove receives many requests from citizens seeking assistance for slowing traffic and/or adding stop signs. All complaints or concerns must be submitted to the City of Forest Grove in writing. 

Please include the following information in your letter:

  • Your name, address, and phone number.
  • The location(s) where you have observed the problem(s).
  • The nature of the problem (i.e., speeding, traffic volume, pedestrian concerns, stop sign). Please be as descriptive as possible and be sure to include the days and times when the problems occur.

Review Process

All letters are reviewed by the Director of Public Works and/or the Traffic Control Review Board (TCRB). This committee includes the Public Works Director, Public Works Superintendent, Police Chief, Fire Chief, and Community Development Director. Their findings and decisions are then referred to the City Manager for final approval.

Oregon law is based on the premise that most people drive at reasonable and prudent speeds. The posted speed zones generally follow this principle. The methods for establishing special speed zones are based on engineering investigations.

State statutes give Oregon motorists the following designated speed zone standards:

  • 15 miles-per-hour alleys
  • 20 miles-per-hour business districts, school zones
  • 25 miles-per-hour residential districts, public parks, ocean shores
  • 55 miles-per-hour open and rural highways; urban interstate highways, trucks on rural highways
  • 65 miles-per-hour autos on rural interstate highways

Speed zones in Forest Grove are made jointly by the Oregon Department of Transportation (ODOT) and the City. ODOT has the responsibility to investigate roads at the request of the City for speed zone changes and to make recommendations following established standards.

All of the following considerations are evaluated in deciding whether to propose a change or retain the posted speed zone:

  • Accident history
  • Roadway width and surface type
  • Number of lanes
  • Shoulders
  • Traffic control (stop signs and signals)
  • Number of intersections
  • Roadside development
  • Other considerations include parking and bicycle lanes

For more information, please contact the Engineering Department at 503-992-3228.